Red caviar can come from different kinds of fish :
– the most popular is from pink salmon; it has a light orange colour;
– followed by a much Redder trout caviar ;
– in the higher price range you have caviar of keta and red salmon – both have a pronounced Red color.
It is cheaper than the sturgeon varieties;
Still the prices can be as high as 5000€ per kilo, unless you go to Russia where the prices for caviar remain much more affordable;
It has a lot of protein;
It contains many vitamins;
Because of all its qualities, it is prescribed to sportsmen, pregnant women and weak children.
How to serve caviar?
– In a small vase;
– Directly on blini or on toast;
– Or simply spoon the caviar onto a piece of white bread and enjoy the taste of it; It is good to add a bit of unsalted butter, which tempers the salty flavor;
And of course if you are lucky enough to have high quality caviar, just it eat it plain with a spoon. Otherwise, the bread will spoil the taste of the caviar.
What to drink it with?
At home we usually pair caviar with a glass of white wine; Chardonnay is probably the best because of its impressive range of flavours.
If you want to be more Russian – a shot of vodka is a must; if you are looking for a romantic diner – a glass of Champagne is excellent.