Eggplant and Red Pepper Sauce Recipe
Last week I was looking for new and easy Red dishes to make, and came across an excellent blog of Russian food, Natasha’s Kitchen, which included a fantastic Eggplant and Red Pepper sauce dish which looked perfectly red.
It can be served as a side dish or a snack.
Ingredients for Eggplant:
Vegetable oil for frying
Ingredients for Sauce
3 red bell peppers
1 hot pepper
5-6 garlic cloves
1/3 cup vinegar
1 tsp salt
1/3 cup olive oil for sauce
1/2 cup water
1/4 tsp pepper
2 tsp sugar
1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese, optional
To cook eggplants:
1. Slice eggplant crosswise, sprinkle with salt on both sides and put aside for 45 minutes. It allows eggplants to “sweat” and absorb less oil while cooking. Pat dry with paper towels.
(While the eggplant is set aside, start preparing your sauce )
2. Heat a skillet over medium/high heat. Once the skillet is hot, add enough oil to cover the bottom of the pan.
3. Once the oil is hot, fry eggplants about 2 minutes per side. You may add more oil if necessary while cooking the eggplants
4. Once eggplants are cooked and removed from the pan, absorb excess oil with paper towels
2. Press garlic cloves
3. Mix grated bell peppers, hot pepper and garlic with the rest of sauce ingredients, vinegar, olive oil, salt, sugar, pepper and water in a sauce pan. Simmer sauce uncovered for 40 minutes (stirring occasionally). Add more sugar and water to taste if necessary.
Once your sauce and eggplants are cooked:
1. Place eggplant in the Pyrex dish.
2. Pour sauce over the top, stirring gently
3. Sprinkle with freshly grated parmesan cheese.
Put in the oven on broil for 3 minutes to melt the cheese.
Prep time – 1 hour 30 mins
Cook time – 50 mins
Total time – 2 hours 20 mins
I’m reproducing the Eggplant and Red Pepper Sauce Recipe here with the main photo and a link to Natasha’s Kitchen full slide show photos.